- Fishing galore
- Nature watching: dolphins/manatees/ospreys/gopher / tortoises – a part of daily reality
- Jet skiing
- Boats: (Lazy Tree has its own dock) if you haven’t driven a boat before then maybe take a look at this link first: www.boatingbasicsonline.com
- To Hire a Boat – Lazy Tree has a special arrangement for boat hire at concessionary rates with:
Boating Cape Coral
1714 Bikini Ct #205
Phone: (239) 333-9156 (Capt.John)
Click here for full details of rental boats available.
- Snorkelling and Scuba Diving
- Kayak Tours
- Sun Splash Water Park
- Some Local Attractions:
- Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
- Edison & Ford Estates Fort Myers (Historic homes)
- J N Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge Sanibel
- Manatee Park Fort Myers
- Sanibel Lighthouse and more information here in Wikipedia
- Seminole Gulf Railway Fort Myers
- Revs Institute 2500 South Horseshoe Drive, Naples Fl 34104 Tel: 239 687 7387 – A very special museum of historic cars housed in 80,000 sq ft of purpose built space; take the Docent tour which is well worth the extra $3. Owned by the Collier family – as in Baron Collier. Look him up and find out about Collier County and the Tamiami Trail. If you like old cars, then this is a must!
Shopping and Restaurants
- Publix Supermarket is our first choice of supermarket and there are very many branches in Cape Coral – biggest and best and convenient for 320 Bayshore Drive is at the Mid Point shopping centre at the junction of Santa Barbara Blvd and Veterans Memorial Parkway.
- Edison Mall, 4125 Cleveland Avenue, Ft Myers
- Coconut Point 23106 Fashion Drive, Estero
- Miromar Outlets, 10801 Corkscrew Road, Estero
Specialist Food shops worth the journey
- Paesano’s Italian Deli – steaks & meat (nicer than the supermarket), deli, Italian specialities, very drinkable reasonably priced wine, etc.
- Merricks Seafood – every kind of fish and shellfish and a huge counter of ready to cook fish dishes; and do not forget their restaurant!
- Oltimes German Bakery & Deli, 1507 SE 47th Street, Cape Coral
- The Fresh Market 13499 S Cleveland Avenue Fort Myers, FL 33907 – bit like a miniature version of Harrods’ food hall; the place to buy/grind coffee beans
- La Corte Courtyard Garden Bistro 1520 Lafayette Street, Cape Coral, Fl Tel: 239 542 2224 (previously Brew Baby’s). (It still has a terrific ambience & nice atmosphere. The La Corte website indicates high prices and local comment suggests these may not be justified by the level of service and quality of cuisine. However we have been a couple of times and enjoyed the experience; the bill was at the high end but not outrageous. There is a waitress who talks too much but she is not a reason not to go!)
- Bonefish, 900 SW Pine Island Road, Cape Coral (Average restaurant, good fresh fish, nice cocktails, can book but they do not seem to take much notice! Can be very busy.)
- Duffys 627 Cape Coral Parkway West, Cape Coral, Fl 33914 Tel: 239 205 6771 (Sports bar with 100 TV screens (fortunately, no sound!) very popular with local residents. Reasonably priced with special offers some days. Food pretty average; soggy French fries when last there.)
- Fish Tale Grill by Merrick Sea Food 1229 SE 47th Terrace, Cape Coral (Food fabulous but air con occasionally makes it a bit chilly inside! Not a lot of atmosphere but if you like fish this is the place to go. The wine is outrageously priced so stick to beer. They have tables outside. Merrick’s fish shop is next door and a visit is a must.)
- Five Guys 2612 Santa Barbara Blvd, Cape Coral Fl. Tel: 239 242 6620 (Best for Burgers & Fries – eat in or take out. The food is better at the outlet at 12460 S Cleveland Ave, Ft Myers.)
- Ford Garage 1719 Cape Coral Parkway East, Cape Coral (Themed large burger restaurant with numerous beers; lots of fun but noisy; average food. The huge choice of beers is the hint; their cocktails are lousy and overpriced!)
- Pinchers Crab Shack, Tarpon Point, Cape Coral Fl (Cannot book, in season turn up and hope for a table. Rest of the year you will just walk straight in. Fun place, friendly staff and excellent food at a very reasonable price. They have other places; we have also been to the one at Gulf Coast Town Centre which was just as good. The Cape Coral one is next to Westin Hotel and overlooks the Marina.)
- Rum Runners, Cape Harbour, Cape Coral (Todd Johnson is the Chef / Owner. Great view, good food, casual atmosphere; nicer sitting outside but slap on the anti-mosquito stuff before you go! One of Sue’s favourites in Cape Coral!)
- Fathoms: Cape Harbour: (Nice to sit outside and look at the boats. Good food and Cape Harbour is fun to wander round in the evening. Often there is live music in the central square which is actually round!)
- South Cape Diner 1215 Cape Coral Parkway, Cape Coral, Fl 33904 Tel: 239 257 2183 (We have been here 3 times. The first time was great but sadly the last two visits were not good: the coffee was horrible and the serving staff overstretched. We will not return.)
- The Boat House Tiki Bar & Grill 5819 Driftwood Parkway Cape Coral, FL 33904 Tel: 239-945-2628 (Very popular open air place overlooking the river at the Yacht Club – nice atmosphere, very average food, good live music; really it is all about the view and the buzz. The beer is not cheap!)
- The Twisted Lobster 1341 Del Prado Blvd, Cape Coral Fl 33990 Tel: 239 800 2879 (Opened in April 2015. Plain and simple décor but clean and tidy. Good for kids. When we were there the food was very good and service brilliant but we went only a week after it opened!)
- Kumo 2517 Santa Barbara Blvd, Cape Coral Fl 33914 TEL: 239 573 9866 (Fun place that the kids will like. Sit round a U shaped table with hot plate in centre and watch chef juggle his cooking tools and catch eggs in his hat. Food is not bad either! Reasonably priced.)
- Azure 15301 McGregor Blvd Suite #1 Fort Myers Florida 33908 Tel: 239-288-4296 (Same people who own Mad Fresh but a formal upmarket restaurant. Great food and a good wine list. Laid back but good service. Prices dictate a special occasion. Worth the journey. MUST BOOK.)
- Cristoffs on McGregor, 10231 McGregor Blvd, Ft Myers (Nice restaurant quite good atmosphere, food is good, however not quite sure if it’s worth the drive in the evening but very pleasant for a change.)
- Mad Fresh Bistro 12995 Cleveland Avenue, Ft Myers, Fl. Tel: 239 362 2363 (Excellent food, limited menu – the best are the specials on the blackboard, know their wine – see the other blackboard! Small & very busy, lots of regulars so like a club, good fun! Not cheap.)
- The Roadhouse Café 15660 San Carlos Boulavard, Ft Myers 33908 Tel: 239 415 4375 (NOT a roadhouse or a café! At the end of a shopping strip mall and from the outside looks terrible. Inside it is a cross between a speakeasy and an old French nightclub. The band is made up of retired musicians including the singer; they are brilliant if you like the 50’s. The service is good as is the food and the wine list reasonably priced and something for everyone. This place is WORTH THE JOURNEY. Make certain you book and ask for a table in the section near the band.
- The Twisted Vine Bistro 2214 Bay St, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Tel: 239 226 1687 (Good décor and atmosphere. In historic part of Ft Myers. Food good but the wine is outrageously priced – $40 for a very average wine. Service was OK when were there; bit over the top. We will go back.
- The Verandah, 2122 Second Street (on Broadway), Ft Myers, Fl 33901 Tel: 239 332 2065 (Formal restaurant and piano bar with southern style atmosphere. Award winning and definitely one of the best and classier restaurants in town. Sounds stuffy but actually quite good fun but prices dictate a special occasion.)
Ft Myers Beach
- Matanzas on the Bay 416 Crescent St, Ft Myers Beach, Fl 33931 Tel: 239 463 3838 (Come by car or boat – docks available. Easy to dock a boat. Really nice restaurant right on the water. Food is pretty good. Worth the journey.)
- Gramma Dot’s at Sanibel Marina, 634 N. Yachtsman Drive, Sanibel, FL 33957 Tel: 239 472 8138 (Sit outside & look at the boats; great fried oysters and fries. Children love the place. Go by boat or car.)
- Coconut Jacks Waterfront Grill 5370 Bonita Beach Rd., Bonita Beach, Fl 34134 Tel: 239 676 7777 (Make certain you sit outside overlooking water and mangroves; great view. Come by car or boat – docks available. Some come by boat for a take away! Good food and service; some decent wines. Worth the journey.)
- Duvals 1435 Main St, Sarasota, Fl 34236 Tel: 941 312 4001 (This is excellent food with good service located in the charming central area of Sarasota only a short walk from the Opera House. Sarasota is worth a visit especially if you go to the “Ringling Circus Museum” which is more than can be described in a sentence or two.)
- Good Licks Ice Cream 4643 Pine Island Road, Matlacha, FL (Fantastic Ice Cream Shop, really the best!)
- The French Press 5789 Cape Harbour Drive, #101 Cape Coral, FL Tel: 239 542 0212 (Genuinely nice people who run a super coffee shop with also offers Gelato. Good place to go after Fathams if you fancy an ice cream or a different venue for coffee – they are open till 10:00 pm.)
You can quite literally step from Lazy Tree into the Caloosahatchee River; the house has its own dock & boat lift. It is 5 minutes by car or 10 minutes by boat to the Cape Coral Yacht Club and beach or turn your boat east down the Caloosahatchee river to the Gulf of Mexico and you will be at Sanibel Island in 20 minutes.